Howlong History now has a website HERE

Howlong History

Howlong history

Kindly supplied by Ron Wilkins:

HOWLONG is an attractive riverside town on the NSW- Victorian border

The name Howlong is derived from the Aboriginal native language ,’Oolong’ meaning a haunt of native companions ( Brolga birds). They still return to nest in this district. Ref. Joseph Hawdon’s journal ‘A journey from NSW  to South Australia performed in 1838’.

Howlong is situated 597 km south-west of Sydney via the Hume and Riverina Highways; it has a population of slightly over 2500.

In 1836 Major Mitchell the surveyor-general of NSW crossed the Murray at this location on his return to Sydney from his Australia Felix expedition.

There is a monument to Mitchell on the Victorian side of the river.

In 1837 John and Joseph Hawdon established the formation of  Howlong Station  estimated to be 64,000 acres.

In 1838 Joseph Hawdon set off from Howlong on the first Overland Cattle Drive to Adelaide with 340 head of cattle.

The same river crossing was used in 1838 for the first overland mail delivery from Port Phillip (Melbourne) to Yass hence to Sydney via stage coach.

The town was surveyed in 1854.Town blocks went on sale in 1856.

old po
The old Post Office

In 1873 the famous 100 mile horse race took place between two horses for a bet of 50 pounds.

When this came to the attention of the Animal Liberationists in Sydney they sent a Magistrate down to investigate the matter. He dismissed the case when the policeman informed him the owner of one of the horses after the race jumped on its back and rode it home 30 miles to his property without any apparent harm to his horse.

Howlong has a number of historic buildings such as:

  • The Howlong Hotel 1857,
  • Court House Hotel 1879,
  • Mill Hotel 1870
  • and the Punt Hotel 1857,
  • St Thomas Anglican Church 1865,
  • St Andrews Presbyterian Church 1899,
  • St Brigid’s Catholic Church originally in Hammer St was dedicated in1877 the Convent and School were in Hovell Street,
  • Howlong Public School 1861,
  • Australasian Bank 1857,
  • Mechanics Institute 1887,
  • Post Office 1898 { Now a B&B),
  • Flour Mill 1865 and Cottage
  • and the Coach change over station at ‘Kismet’ on the Corowa Road.

A Historic Circuit of Howlong is available the brochure associated with the circuit is available at the Howlong Community Resource Centre located at the corner of Hawkins and Hovell Sts.

Parklands :-

  • there are four parks in Howlong.
  • Lowe’s Square Sporting Complex Catering for Football, Netball, Cricket, Tennis, Little Athletics, BMX , Swimming Pool and Pony Club, the Returned Service Memorial is also located in the Park.
  • Lions and Memorial Parks are located beside the river and have toilet, boat ramp and  children play ground facilities.
  • Pioneer Park is a tribute to our Pioneers.
St Thomas's Anglican Church, Howlong

Howlong Golf Course.

The original course was located in Lowe’s square and set out in 1928. In 1960 negotiations took place and the golf club location shifted to the old Howlong Race Course. The club has an 18 hole golf circuit and two immaculate lawn bowling greens along with full club facilities.

Howlong is an ideal riverside location to relax, play your favorite sport or engage in walking, bird watching, fishing, horse riding, boating, or photography.